Girl Power


FAMILY DAY.... HOORAY !!


ON THIS DAY IN 2004 WE BECAME A FAMILY !!
HAPPY FAMILY DAY MY SWEET CHILD.
I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON AND BACK !


(An excerpt from my journal written on 6-28-04)
We woke up early in a hotel room in Hefei, China.  Neither of us speaking for a few minutes.  Soaking up the reality of the day.  We were parents about to meet our baby daughter for the first time.
At 9:15am we took an elevator to the 4th floor of our hotel and entered the Peony Room.  We were supposed to see our children for the first time at 9:30.  But when we entered the room, there they were... 5 beautiful babies waiting to be united with their forever families. 






I wasn't prepared for how it all happened.  All of the moms and dads peeking into the adjoining room, not really sure what to do, then all of a sudden there was a flurry of activity.  The orphanage nannies coming in and handing daughters to parents.  I was shaking, looking from face to face searching for Maisie.  Then all of a sudden she was in my arms.  A sweet bundle.... so soft.  My baby was dressed in a pink & white dress, white socks and pink sandals.  Fascinated, we just looked at each other.  Me-crying... Maisie just staring, taking it all in.  I began to kiss her face all over, on the lips, her nose, hear head.  She was kissing me back (well actually sort of tasting) when her mouth found my nose.  She promptly showed me what four teeth could do !


Maisie is perfect !  Brown skin, pouty lips, dark eyes and hair.  She never cried.  Instead she gazed around, inquisitive... not worried at all.  
Back in the hotel room we laid our daughter on the bed and she immediately showed off her skills at rolling over.  Nap time came and went, then the rolling continued.


She responds to her Chinese name Qiu Yu (Cho You) which means Autumn Rain.  Beautiful, just like her.


Maisie likes to play.  She can't sit up yet, so we practiced sit ups and tummy time.  8 1/2 hours after our first meeting, we were all so tired.  Our guide came by to take a copy of Maisie's footprint.  We then took our first bath togehter, put on her giraffe jammies and called it a night.  She was so tired she went down and slept a solid 10 hours.  We weren't as lucky, so full of emotion, that all we could do was stare at our miracle.





You are a pure joy to be around.  My beautiful daughter, you are so full of life.  You remain inquisitive and amaze me with how smart you are.  It is a privilege to be your mom.  I will ALWAYS love you to the moon and back !
Happy Family Day Maisie !!
0 Responses

Post a Comment